Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Behind the Curtain with Alli Mauzey

Photo courtesy of Broadway.com
Alli Mauzey was most recently seen as Glinda in Wicked on Broadway. She's also known for her roles in Cry-Baby and Hairspray.  

After finishing her show in Garner, North Carolina,  Alli answered a few fun questions we had about music and her career. 
   
What is your favorite cast album or one that inspired you greatly?
I don't tend to listen to a lot of cast albums often.  As far as contemporary singer/songwriters go, I like Sara Barellies and Ben Folds. I tend to listen to them a lot.

If you could sing a duet with anyone who would it be and why?

So many to choose from but a singer who I greatly admire is Judy Kuhn.  I love the versatility of her voice.  I was first introduced to her through a friend of mine in school who had a copy of the Tony Awards when she performed on the show as both Cosette in Les Miz and in the musical Rags.  I was so impressed with her beautiful soprano in Les Miz and her "meaty" belt in Rags. Both equally stunning. I just think she can sing anything and I was instantly hooked. I was also so impressed with her acting.

What was it like working with so many different actresses in Wicked? How difficult was it to adjust to playing with a different Elphaba?

I've gotten to work with so many fantastic women. Some of which will be my friends for life. I found that as long as the Elphaba and myself were open to what we each brought to the table and that we were both committed to telling the story every night then all was good.

What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given or one that you would give to aspiring actors?
Hard work was always good advice.  I had a teacher that said sometimes someone who might not have things come as natural right away can pass up someone who does.  When things come easy and you get a lot of attention it's easy to rest on your laurels and become lazy while someone behind you is doing the work and continues to grow.  And I think this doesn't just apply to actors but any field.

No comments:

Post a Comment